As a (completely) amateur game coder and big Carmageddon fan, I put together a map / model viewer using file format specs available on the internet. I had a lot of fun doing that, and so I just started implementing more features. I didn't expect many people to be interested in what I was doing - it was mostly just for my own interest.
Here are the salient points:
- It is a purely amateur, fan-made effort
- I haven't tried to reverse-engineer any of the original code
- I'm doing it simply for fun - I don't profit in any way
- The OpenC1 engine I have developed simply loads arbitrary files from a folder and figures out how to display them
- The first release included the free, official, unmodified Carmageddon demo (which I know now was wrong - but again, I simply didn't think anyone would be that interested)
- It now won't require any original copyrighted content, thanks to the C1 community who have created their own cars and tracks.
I'm not making any comment on legal issues until they have been resolved.